Biking Shorts - March 9, 2013
Non-Profits -- Including Us! -- Thrive With Volunteer Help
By Barbara Schmid
As GGRBC develops campaigns and programs to implement our strategic priorities, our need for volunteer help continues to grow. This year, we again have a number of exciting events where we could use your help. Volunteering is a great way to meet other Coalition members and help us promote GGRBC and our initiatives.
Our biggest event of the year will be the Grand Rapids Clips Beer and Film Tour, a national beer and film festival sponsored by bicycle-friendly New Belgium Brewing. GGRBC was chosen as the benefiting charity for the event, June 21. There are 19 other Clips stops across the country this year, in which craft beer and a film extravaganza will steal the show.
GGRBC is responsible for supporting the event with about 60 volunteers. Volunteers will sell raffle tickets, serve beer, staff the bike corral, clean up, etc. Training will be provided for the five-hour volunteer commitment. If you're interested, please let us know.
Contact Pam Lauroff, our Clips volunteer coordinator if you would like to help. We would very much appreciate it!
Volunteers will also be needed at several other upcoming events too! We will need a few volunteers to help out at the GGRBC display table at each of these events:
- Handlebar Happy Hour (April 10) - Our regular happy hour networking event, this time at CitySen Lounge at CityFlatsHotel in downtown Grand Rapids.
- Ride of Silence (May 15) - An annual event that honors cyclists who have died in traffic accidents within the past year and to raise awareness of safe riding and driving.
- Active Commute Week Celebration (May 17) - End Active Commute Week 2013 on a high note with bands, food, cycling and active commuting vendors, and the Active Commute Week Challenge awards.
- Mayor's Ride (May 21) - GGRBC will have a table at this annual event hosted by Grand Rapids Mayor George Heartwell. No-drop casual trail and road rides depart from the Salvation Army Kroc Center.
- MSU Gran Fondo (June 29) - New this year, the event offers a number of distance rides with the longest being an 80-mile RT ride to Grand Haven. It’s sponsored by MSU College of Human Medicine to benefit skin cancer research.
Contact GGRBC Interim Director Tom Tilma at Tom.Tilma@BikeGrandRapids.org if you're interested in helping at these events.
There are a multitude of ways you can help with GGRBC's events, projects, programs, and operations. We continue to have needs for volunteer help with bicycle safety education classes, marketing, social media, bicycle count studies, and fundraising. Let us know your skills and interests and we will help find a slot where you can make a difference!